Sunday, April 8, 2012

Crowdsourcing some facts for my upcoming #Tedmed talk on #microbes on #humans

OK all I am looking for some help here is finding out some latest pieces of information about the microbes that live in and on people for my Tedmed talk next week Some things I could use


  • 1. What is the number of species of microbes found on one person across their entire body (gut, skin, mouth, etc)? 

  •  2. What is the number of species of known human pathogens (that are microbes) 

  •  3. What human ailments are now thought to be possibly caused by disturbances in the microbiome? 

  •  4. How many viruses (kinds and numbers) are found in the human microbiome? 



  •  5. What is a good source of open (e.g., creative commons) images of the microbes found in / on people? 


 I am going to post these each as a comment below so people can respond to each one ... Thanks