Friday, January 13, 2012

Request for input - are there any rules regarding posting text of one's own NSF (or other) grant proposals?

In response to a series of posts from Karen James (who is a biologist now in Maine and is director of the HMS Beagle Project) on Twitter, I am posting here to ask for input from the crowd.  On Twitter, Karen has been discussing her putting together an NSF proposal and was then celebrating a few days ago when it was done.

I have posted some of the twitter conversation below.  But to get directly to the point the question I have for everyone here is - are there any rules at the National Science Foundation that would prevent one from sharing with others a grant proposal that one has submitted?  Are there any rules against this at any agency?  I think there are none but apparently some are telling Karen otherwise.

Any information on this would be useful. Some of the twitter conversation is below:

kejames
So, @phylogenomics and others, with whom is it appropriate to share a submitted NSF proposal? Anyone? No one? Something in between?
1/12/12 6:15 PM

phylogenomics
@kejames what do you mean by "appropriate"
1/12/12 6:15 PM

johnhawks
@kejames If I were you, I'd share the whole thing in public and make the reviews public as well. But I'm a minority view.
1/12/12 6:16 PM

kejames
@johnhawks Thanks, I've thought of that, actually. It is a federal agency after all. I'd need to redact confidential budget info, though.
1/12/12 6:18 PM

johnhawks
@kejames Yes, and possibly key personnel. My attitude is the success rate is so low, it can't hurt and might draw visibility pre-review.
1/12/12 6:19 PM

kejames
@phylogenomics Best practice. My instinct is to share it with colleagues, collaborators and associates I think might be interested in it.
1/12/12 6:16 PM

phylogenomics
@kejames what is the potential reason to not share?
1/12/12 6:17 PM

kejames
@phylogenomics That's what I'm asking. Is there any rule or custom that prohibits sharing it far and wide?
1/12/12 6:19 PM

phylogenomics
@kejames none that I know of - only reason not to is if you are worried about people "stealing" your ideas
1/12/12 6:19 PM

kejames
@phylogenomics Not worried about that in the slightest. If anything sharing it widely establishes it as "my" idea. Thanks.
1/12/12 6:20 PM

kejames
@johnhawks Or I could ask the key personnel if they're okay w/ it. I think it would be nice to include them if they want to be included.
1/12/12 6:21 PM

phylogenomics
@kejames I think Rosie Redfield posts hers on her blog http://t.co/g73Xb2Yz
1/12/12 6:25 PM

kejames
@phylogenomics Thanks for that. I notice she just posts the project description itself, none of the other "stuff"and doesn't list names.
1/12/12 6:28 PM

DoctorZen
@kejames NSF proposals are your choice who to share with. Probably not best to post publicly, though.
1/12/12 6:25 PM

kejames
@DoctorZen Why not? As @phylogenomics notes, @RosieRedfield posts her grant proposals on her lab's website: http://t.co/peWEmnvs
1/12/12 6:29 PM

kejames
Anyone else besides @phylogenomics @doctorzen @johnhawks want to weigh in on how broadly I should share my just-submitted NSF proposal? 1/2
1/12/12 6:31 PM

kejames
@rdmpage @RosieRedfield @DoctorZen @johnhawks @phylogenomics @kzelnio So I asked the collaborators on the proposal. One replied… 1/2
1/13/12 4:50 AM

kejames
@rdmpage @RosieRedfield @DoctorZen @johnhawks @phylogenomics @kzelnio 2/2…"Sharing not wise! Could disqualify proposal."
1/13/12 4:51 AM

rdmpage
.@kejames @rosieredfield @doctorzen @johnhawks @phylogenomics @kzelnio In other words fear of what grant agency will do trumps being open :(
1/13/12 5:10 AM

DoctorZen
@rdmpage I support being open; not sure every step always needs to be public. @kejames @rosieredfield @johnhawks @phylogenomics @kzelnio
1/13/12 5:18 AM

rdmpage
.@DoctorZen @kejames @rosieredfield @johnhawks @phylogenomics @kzelnio I agree, it's not that it HAS to open, but that it COULD be
1/13/12 5:27 AM

phylogenomics
@kejames @rdmpage @RosieRedfield @DoctorZen @johnhawks @kzelnio WTF? As far as I know there are NO NSF issues w/ sharing a proposal
1/13/12 7:00 AM

phylogenomics
@kejames @rdmpage @RosieRedfield @DoctorZen @johnhawks @kzelnio Yes, need to discuss w/ collabs & get permission but not angst any rules
1/13/12 7:02 AM

phylogenomics
@rdmpage @DoctorZen @kejames @rosieredfield @johnhawks @kzelnio agree w/ Rod - issue was whether it could be posted, not if it had to be
1/13/12 7:04 AM

kejames
@phylogenomics I'm following up w/ him to find out what he meant He's a seasoned NSF grantee and reviewer. Have also contacted NSF directly.
1/13/12 7:08 AM